Optical Path Exchange
Fiber Mountain’s Glass Core integrates software and hardware innovations to transform network infrastructure. AllPath Director makes use of Intelligent Connection Identification (ICID) and high-density fiber optics to enable SDN control of packet flows and physical connectivity from the same screen.
The Fiber Mountain AllPath Optical Path Exchange (OPX) provides any port-to-any port connectivity, through its fabric, for point-to-point and point-to-multipoint applications, in a slim form factor of one Rack Unit (1RU). OPX provides cross connect of 160 ports (320 fibers) terminating within fourteen 24-fiber MPO faceplate connectors.
AllPath Optical Path Exchanges are fully managed from the Fiber Mountain AllPath Director, an SDN orchestration system designed to make full use of Intelligent Connection Identification (ICID) technology. OPX provides fourteen ICID-enabled 24-fiber MPO ports, allowing for a fully visible and movable physical layer. This software control of physical connections is also known as Connectivity Virtualization.
OPX is an integral part of Fiber Mountain’s Glass Core, and it enables the creation of Programmable Light Path (PLP) connections for dynamic reconfiguration of paths in the Glass Core architecture. It is also available as a standalone unit to work in any SDN environment controlled by a third party controller.
Fiber Mountain’s OPX is a scalable network device which can provide optical switching and connectivity to hyperscale, enterprise and carrier data centers.
Figure 1 shows how the OPX is used in place of aggregation switching to provide Glass Core networking to all racks of a row, between rows and between data centers. OPX delivers direct connectivity from servers to storage or any other destination with an ultra low latency of 5 nanoseconds, port-to-port.
OPX is scalable to 40G, 100G, and above, but it is also a valuable asset in extending the life of a 10G or 40G infrastructure.
- 5 nanoseconds port-to-port latency
- Onboard optics with high faceplate density
- Software-controlled moves, adds and changes
- Dual redundant hot-insertable power supplies
- Front-to-back or back-to-front fans
- Four management ports
- ICID technology enables all fiber cabling to be managed from software
- Supports multimode OM3 / OM4 cables
- Multi-color LED at each MTP connector can be used for port verification, alarming, or be programmed under software control
- Configured and monitored by AllPath Director or third-party SDN controllers
- Support for RESTful API
- 1RU 19-inch rack-mountable enclosure